In 2015 Airbus Defence and Space is moving its military communications satellite, Skynet 5A, to 95 degrees East to extend Skynet’s global coverage and services to the Asia-Pacific, including the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific region.
This will provide military X-band and UHF coverage to nations operating in the Asia-Pac area and augment their existing satcoms capability with high grade resilient and secure communications services.
- World’s most powerful, MILSATCOM grade, hardened and protected X-band satellites
- Commercially owned and operated by Airbus Defence and Space
- Offers flexible services via global and rapidly steerable spot beams
- Multi-beam switching capability delivers shaped and high gain footprints
- Maximises data to small and disadvantaged terminals
- Supports Airborne – Maritime and COTM requirements
- Highest in class for resilience to rainfade and interference
- Fully interoperable with existing X-band terminals
- Complementary resilient and robust services for existing satcom systems
- Fast-track service available for urgent operational requirements
SKYNET COVERAGE MAPS:
Examples of Use for Maritime Traffic: