UHF is ideal for users who are on the tactical edge and need mobile, simple voice and data capability
UHF is the ideal application for providing simple voice (cellular/mobile phone type) and low data rate capability (typically 5kHz or 25kHz).
UHF equipment is lightweight, simple to use and acquires a satellite link easily. UHF is often used by end users who are on the tactical edge and need a quick and simple way of communicating back to command and control. Skynet 5's UHF channel's pairs provide generous link margins allowing for a wide range of users and equipment. They are also fully co-ordinated with NATO standards to ensure usability and interoperability.
Each Skynet 5 has 9 tuneable UHF channels, except for Skynet 5D which has 11.
- Lightweight, mobile communications capability in remote locations
- High EIRP enabling higher data rates, smaller terminals & connectivity in built up areas (i.e. areas with high tree coverage)
- Accessible by a wide range of users & equipment.
- 24/7 customer and network support
- Tuneable 5kHz and 25kHz channels in short timescales
- Dedicated Tacsat, DAMA and IW services
- Skynet 5's are hardened, secure and high powered military satellites